Welcome to ADR Bees. I’m Jerry Owens of Rapid City, SD. I began keeping honey bees in my spare time several years ago and I actively work to promote beekeeping throughout the Black Hills, western South Dakota, and eastern Wyoming, by educating the public about the benefits and joys of honey bee keeping.
There is nothing greener than a bee and they are instrumental to our food supply. Aproximately 30% of everything we eat comes in contact somewhere in the food chain. The loss of bees (through Colony Collapse Disorder and other maladies) poses a greater ecological threat than global warming. So the more hobby beekeepers we have, the more pollination of gardens and crops.
I teach new beekeepers through ‘on the job’ training — I work with them to setup and manage their hives. I also sell bees and beekeeping supplies. ( refer to the equipment page. As I tell people, all you need is a backyard and ADR Bees.
I founded the Wannabee Hobby Beekeepers club in the fall of 2009 hoping to get people in the Black Hills area raising honey bees. Since then, and as ofaugust, 2013, about 200 people are involved with the club.
4140 Canyon Lake Dr.
Rapid City, SD 57702
This is a site dedicated to the hobby beekeeper.
Links to Newspaper and News Articles about our local beekeepers
- Benefits of bees keep beekeepers buzzing (Jerry/Tom/Nicole – September 2011)
- Nicole Preble / Bobtanical Garden / News Center 1 (July 24, 2011)
- Beekeeping for the Environment / News Center 1 (May 21, 2011)
- Hobby Bee Keepers helping bees / KOTA Video (May 21, 2011)
- Jerry Owens – Butte County/Nisland News (January, 2011)
- Lila Lytle – Custer – takes on a new hobby (September 2010)
- Jerry Owens – New vendors at fair … bees, hand waxing (August, 2009 RC Journal)
- Jerry Owens – A sweet hobby: Local beekeepers group. (March, 2009 RC Journal)
- SD Beekeeping Business – Searching for the Sweet Spot (July, 2008 RC Journal)